Sunday, January 30, 2005

More on Cornhole-izer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45173-2005Jan28.html
Jacksonville strikes back! I might add that letter writer Pat Crandall taught my English class in high school. Note his excellent syntax!

Update [12:22am]: Although I think it has little chance of being published since they have already published so many responses, I submitted my own letter. At least it will be published here! As you will see, it draws on some of our discussions here. So credit all around! Obviously, I have removed my contact information.

Dear Editor,
As a liberal college professor in the conservative South, I would like to thank Tony Kornheiser for, of all things, teaching me a lesson in politics. Having read his smear of my hometown, Jacksonville, I now fully understand the power of "effete Northern" (as Kornheiser refers to himself) derision to instigate Southern contrarian support for the president's policies. Additionally, I have composed several rules for my students who wish to become journalists:
1) As Jayson Blair demonstrated, if you report on a place with which you are not familiar, people will notice (e.g., "Jacksonville is 20 miles from the beach").
2) If you cannot be there in person, don't rely on someone who is there solely to emcee a trivia contest to give you an impression of the finer parts of the city.
3) Belitting a city because it has chain restaurants only proves that you are out of touch with most of America. (Again, the Democratic Party should take note.)
I hope the the rest of the Super Bowl coverage is at least open-minded enough to get to Jacksonville before reporting on it.
Sincerely,
Ricardo Grande

1 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Blogger romeotheBT said...

I'm going to get a t-shirt made that says... "Don't mess with J-ville!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker