Tuesday, February 15, 2005

I could have told you this all along. Something tells me that Larry Summers won't be getting any apologies any time soon.

I remember reading something somewhere that it was shown that men naturally produce more serotonin than women. It offered some explanation (aside from sexual discrimination) as to why men are more success oriented than women. They are more aggressive, more likely to ignore factors that indicate failure is possible, etc.

I especially like the line about men being "better at getting right to the issue".

1 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Blogger Ricardo Grande said...

Nor should he get an apology! While I think people jumped all over him and perhaps should have been more calm, he nevertheless completely ignored most of the social science evidence that has been amassed. At the very least, he ignores the relatively simple fact that in Europe a much greater proportion of science faculty are women. So regardless of what genetic differences there may be between men and women (I'm not averse to the idea), there is certainly some impact of socialization and gender roles.

And *I* could have told you that. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker