Thursday, May 19, 2005

Donovin Darius and Nerds

My wife and I went to the Cheesecake Factory last night, which happens to be located in the same area as a movie theater. Being that it is "technically" opening night of Star Wars (most theaters were showing it at midnight), I was looking forward to watching the plethora of dorks that would be dressed up like their favorite jedi. I still remember going to a theater on opening night of Star Trek First Contact and seeing all these people dressed up like the Borg... or Kirk... or whatever. Alas no nerds were to be found... Star Wars wasn't playing at this particular theater.

Anyway, my original post was going to be about Donovin Darius. He is awesome... and proof that the Jaguars know how to draft character people... for the most part. Darius has come out and apologized for statements he made about the Jaguars organization. You see... unwhat like Terrel Owens, I can see why Darius would be pissed. For three years in a row the Jaguars have slapped the franchise tag on him. Which, while paying him a good salary for an NFL safety, has prevented him from negotiating any long term security. Well, at least long term security beyond the five something million dollars he makes a year.

3 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, Blogger Ricardo Grande said...

Christ, I could turn $5 million into long term security. And about 20 MINI Coopers, to boot!
I agree though, I'm glad Donovin came around. But, to use your argument from the pregnant schoolgirl post, the franchise tag exists thanks to the Players' Union's agreement to it, and so if someone uses it you shouldn't get pissy in the first place. Maybe if he wasn't asking for so much money in the short term he could have gotten the long term security he wanted.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Ricardo Grande said...

Thought that you would like this:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=knight-philsheridanowenshasearne&prov=knight&type=lgns

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger romeotheBT said...

Now don't get me wrong here... the main gist of my post is that I think it is awesome that Darius finally came around. His actions showed the difference between someone who is frustrated with their situation but still a team player and someone who is completely self absorbed and concerned only about the further promotion of Terrell Owens... err... themselves.

You're absolutely right though. The players signed the CBA... they have to deal with the guidelines it sets up. I think I can understand at least Darius can look at the triple tag he got laid on him and think... wow... I wish I had at least the chance to negotiate a long term contract.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker