Wednesday, May 18, 2005

I have to agree with the Dems on this one

I have been trying to pay as little attention to the filibuster issue as I possibly can. I hate to think that our well compensated senators are spending their days reading from the phone book in order to delay a vote on some judicial nominee. I know that is not what is happening, but you get the picture. However, I have to side with the democrats on this one. And any good libertarian should as well. At least if they don't want to be a hypocrite.

The filibuster is just another way to balance power in our government. Bush was recently quoted as saying "In the last two elections, the American people made clear they want judges who will faithfully interpret the law, not legislate from the bench". Well... not really... more accurately APPROXIMATELY half of the voting population has made clear they want judges who will faithfully interpret the law.

The way I see it, is if you make your bed, you have to sleep in it. I'm not sure about the history of the "filibuster" but I do know that it has been around long enough to be used as an effective tool by both parties. Changing the senate rules, at least to me, is equivalent to "legislating from the bench". Rules are in place for a reason... you have to abide by them. The democrats aren't just being obstructionists (sp?) because they don't like Bush... or they feel that John Kerry won the election. Democrats are blocking these nominations because Bush is a HORRIBLE judge of talent (e.g. Condoleeeeeeeza Rice and John Bolton). I have a hint for Bush... other countries shouldn't HATE your key diplomats. Oh well... that is another rant for another day.

1 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Blogger Ricardo Grande said...

I love it! I don't even have to take the time to post a reply. Good work, Sahib.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker