Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Much like there is no racism in commercials there are also no poor people. As I was watching TV last night, I happened to notice that commercials never seem to focus on the fact that you have to shell out dough (sometimes a lot of dough) for anything they provide. I thought of this specifically during a BellSouth commercial. The commercial is a veiled rip off of these home make-over shows where BellSouth comes in and gives you a slew of new services, like high speed internet, unlimited local and long distance calling, direct TV, Cingular Wireless, etc etc. And then it goes on to say that you'll be saving tons of money by bundling all these services together. Never any mention of the fact that if you didn't have all this crap before you'll be shelling out a hell of a lot more money each month than you used to. All for stuff you didn't have three months ago.

The first time I had this thought was when Philips first started advertising their plasma screen TVs. The commercial revolved around three kids clearly in their early twenties... dressed as young kids in their early twenties often do (vintage Salvation Army) unloading this 48" plasma screen TV into the living room of a cramped abode located directly on the beach. At the time, I was in my early twenties and I could afford neither the 48" plasma screen TV nor the cramped abode located directly on the beach. However, I could afford the vintage salvation army clothing so at least in that respect I could identify with our heros.

I understand the whole concept of advertising... you want beautiful young people (or just beautiful people in general) to pimp your product. This is why on the screen people who drive Hummers look like a vibrant young couple coming straight from an exciting sorority or fraternity event instead of the tired middle aged couple I usually see driving them. Apparently being rich also comes as part of the bargain. Like when Circuit City convinces me so easily that "you've got questions, we've got answers" I want to ask them "how exactly can I afford that nice 48" plasma screen TV?"

2 Comments:

At 10:49 PM, Blogger Ricardo Grande said...

I know how you can afford the TV - GET A JOB YOU LAZY LIBERAL!

Oh wait, I got our roles mixed up again. :)

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger romeotheBT said...

As long as we're getting to roles mixed up...

Free 48" plasma TVs for everyone! Viva la people's plasma TV!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker