Thursday, July 07, 2005

The end of late fees my ass!

Several months ago my wife and I subscribed to Netflix. The premise is that for twenty dollars a month you can have DVDs delivered to your house and keep them for as long as you want. The business model has been so successful it's caused Blockbuster to change its way of thinking. Don't get me wrong... I don't have anything against Blockbuster; however, their advertising campaign that they have gotten rid of late fees is ridiculous. And just false advertising... so much so that Blockbuster has been sued over their wording of the advertising. You see, what Blockbuster doesn't tell you is that, while yes they have technically eliminated "late fees", they will now just charge you for the movie purchase if you don't return it on time.

This seems asinine to me and destined to fail. Netflix has an awesome thing going. My wife and I went on a tear when we first got Netflix and rented about a movie every three of four days... however, we now somehow manage to keep movies for most of the month... thus keeping Netflix overhead low... and we still love it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker