Thursday, August 18, 2005

XBox 360 vs PS3

All right, I've been meaning to talk about this for a while. The new Microsoft XBox 360 looks ready for a release somewhere around the Holiday shopping season. This would be the first "next generation" game console released since... well... the original XBox. Sony has been sitting with a great market share from their PS2; however, I think their arrogance is about to catch up with them. I've read quite a few articles where Sony reps have been quoted as saying that they're not concerned about the XBox 360 being released almost a full year ahead of the next generation Playstation. They believe that the consumers will stay loyal to the product and will wait.

Well I've got news for them. I consider myself a pretty average gamer as far as demographics go. I'm not hardcore enough to own two systems which is why I do not own an XBox. I'm also fairly loyal to Sony in that I would wait a FEW months for a new Sony console to come out. However, after all the initial hype dies down from the XBox 360 launch and you can walk into a Target and see 10 XBox 360s all ready to be taken home... and NO Sony PS3... that is where my loyalty will end. And chances are that in 6 months or 8 months or whatever when the PS3 comes out, I won't buy it. And I think there is going to be a HUGE number of people that will do that. And you can certainly expect Sony's market share to disappear after that. Only time will tell, but I believe that Sony is relying too much on the loyalty people have for their consoles. Maybe someone should remind them of how loyal people were to Nintendo in the early 90's.

2 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, Blogger Ricardo Grande said...

I think your Nintendo point is well-taken. I've been hearing from a lot of people that the XBox Live thing is a real improvement over the Sony version too. I don't know, I hate to support Microsoft, but it sounds like they've really designed a good product for once. I don't know if I'll buy any of these - I consider myself more of a computer gamer (I like to watch TV at the same time as playing) but if the games are cool enough, I might be pulled of the sofa (but probably not - at $400 per game system you can almost afford a whole new computer with the latest gaming tech in it instead).

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger romeotheBT said...

What really bothers me about the Sony situation is that (according to what I've read) they don't feel any pressure to speed up the release of the PS3... or even put it on a pressured time table, because they feel no threat from the XBox 360. I think this is a gross miscalculation of the market and it's "loyalty" to one console over the other. People will buy the best console available at the time... that is why the original Playstation acheived what it was able to. It was always a step ahead of Nintendo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker