Friday, September 23, 2005

Jamster Commercials

I found this article today on a website talking about the U.K. banning advertisments (or at least primetime advertisements) for the company Jamster. If you're not familiar with Jamster or their commercials it's basically a subscription service that will provide you with ringtones and screen savers and joke text messages and a whole lot of other crap that I would never want on my cell phone. The gist of the ruling is that Jamster is targeting children and not making it clear that they are hawking a subscription service. The funny thing is that I have seen a lot of commercials like this were you text a word ("joke") to a number and you will receive a daily text message or a daily ringtone or some other such nonsense. The commercials look they were thrown together in about 30 minutes by a high school A.V. class. The first time I saw them I thought "is this real"? My second thought was, I wonder how many people are going to fall for this and then regret it in about a week when their inbox fills up with junk mail.

Anyway, I can tell I'm getting old. I could never fathom downloading ringtones to my phone. I've done it once... for a dollar and it is just not a function of my phone that appeals to me. Neither is text messaging. It should only be done drunkenly... when you are at a football game and you think to yourself "I'm going to drop a text message to one of my boys with the score of his game" and then by the time you fumble with the keys you have no idea what you were even originally doing. Brilliant.

2 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Blogger Ricardo Grande said...

Hey, text messaging has lots of purposes. Like drunkenly updating your friend about the score of the game you are at. :) Or texting your friends during boring presentations at academic conferences.
Anyway, your ringtone ideas are not what makes you old. It's that you posted at 6:15am. Good lord!

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Ricardo Grande said...

I'm a retard. You posted at 9:15am. But then why does it say 6:15am on this page as I'm typing this? Strange!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker