Tuesday, August 29, 2006

My own Freakonomics study

One of these days I'm going to do my own Freakonomics study.

I run around the hospital where I work a lot and I walk pretty quickly... I like to get a move on. Inevitably at some point I'm stuck behind someone walking slow. It really is a lot like traffic. And almost always that slow person is fat. I'm talking the type of fat where it hangs over the elbows and drapes around the lower arm. Fat that shuffles... slowly down the hall. So not only are they slow... but because they are fat they take up a greater percentage of the hallway. So this leads me to start thinking, and here is where my sociologic study comes in.

I'm willing to bet that there is a direct inverse correlation between how fat someone is and there income level. It's a straight line pointing downward... where the fat goes up, the income goes down. It also got me thinking that there is also probably a direct positive correlation between the speed at which someone walks and their income level. I bet the faster someone walks, the more likely it is that they have a higher income level. So knowing this and being quite positive of it, I've decided to start dieting and running everywhere.

4 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, Blogger Ricardo Grande said...

As a geographer, I feel quite qualified in saying that you are wrong, at least in a global sense. However, at the top of the global food chain (where we live) I suspect your prediction holds true.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/08/29/obesity.state.ap/index.html

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger romeotheBT said...

Good point and I hadn't really thought of that.

It surprises me the level of... I don't even know the right word... disinterest in some people's health, physical appearance etc.

I'm really not even talking about the many pounds that us formerly finely tuned athletes may have tacked on in recent years.

I'm talking about the fat drapes that look like cut-off sleaves from a sweatshirt hanging over the lower arm. I'm talking about the bag of pudding that hangs down to some peoples knees. I mean how does your heart work at that point?

I'm going to go make some bacon.

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Ricardo Grande said...

"us"?

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger romeotheBT said...

Fuck you... you're only a combined 2 minutes ahead of me for 39 miles.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker